Monday, March 3, 2014

30 before 30


This is a post I had on my former blog. I am adding to it now and reposting it on this blog because one of my goals was to come to South Africa  and it actually happened. It has been a month since I've been here and I think it is finally feeling real. I am feeling super blessed for this opportunity to experience South Africa in a personal sense (meeting my family) and in a professional sense (being here with Fulbright and working at an FET doing student development work).


Before I get into that I'll explain where the 30 before 30 came from...


Back in 2012, my boyfriend and I went on a road trip to Atlanta. We were going to a party of a friend of his, who was about to turn thirty. We decided to come up with a list of 30 things we want to do before we turn thirty! It was really fun and so far we have both checked off several things on our lists. 

When I created this list it was just something fun to do. But in the last two years, I have used this as a guideline to help me budget, plan and prioritize. The first step in making something happen is by figuring out what you want. Once you know what you want and you are willing to make sacrifices to make it happen, you are usually more than half of the way there. One of my life goals is to inspire people to make their dreams come true. I've found that the hardest part is helping people to verbalize and vocalize what is that they actually want. It is so common in our society today to just settle for what other people expect of you versus what you are capable and what you actually want. 


It is easy to get discouraged by circumstances. Yet over the years I have met so many people who refuse to let circumstances define them. Some of the greatest stories come from people who have failed and used that failure to fuel their future successes. 


Ok let me step off my motivational soap box and get to the post... I have a lot of dreams. Some seem super impossible and some I never thought I would be able to do, yet they have been checked off the list.  All I know is that dreams come true when you have faith and you are willing to work towards making them a reality!






 So here is mine:






1. Learn how to design my own locs! I have mastered the art of twisting them but styling them is a whole other story! (youtube and pinterest has become my best friend)


2. Swim with dolphins! This is happening this year!
3. Travel to all 7 continents! I've been to Europe and North America... and now Africa. Just 4 more to go!




4. Master another language. Before I got to SA it was to master Spanish but now I would really like to master Sesotho! Maybe I will move to a Spanish speaking country in the future and then I can master Spanish.




5. Learn to play the guitar!




6. Become Dr. Milanzi ( I would really like to get a PhD in International Educational Leadership)




             7. Go on a mission trip! God has blessed me in so many ways. I would love to travel and share His message and my testimony.








8.  Become skilled in Capoeira





9. Become disciplined at meditation. 
10. Participate in a triathlon!


11. White Water Rafting!   CHECKED OFF in August 2012!!


12. Meet my half brother. He lives in Musina and I will travel there with my cousins during the Easter holiday! Super excited and nervous!



13. Ride in a helicopter! Checked this off the list August 2012!
14. Write and publish a book! I actually just came up with a great book idea! Super grateful to my roommates, who listen to me rant about my book ideas! 


(So I started this blog post before I arrived in SA... now that I am here it takes up too much internet to add pictures. So the rest of the post be without photos!)

15. Become more decisive ( I can be super indecisive and it has caused me to lose out on opportunities) 

16.Go to Disney World! I know... I am shocked too! As much as I love disney movies and Ive never been there?!?! Don't worry it is on the top of my list for when I get back to the states! Who is going with me???

17. Read all of the Lord of the Rings books and watch the movies- I'm still stuck on book 1! Eek

18. Read the entire Bible - I started a read the bible in 3 years reading plan on youversion!

19. Have a conversation with Nelson Mandela- I hope to visit his grave while I am here.

20. Become debt free- I have loans on loans on loans but I also have goals on goals on goals!

21. Fix my teeth: I want straight and white teeth!

22. Become fit and flexible! Yoga and working out 3x a week is definitely helping me get closer to this goal!

23. Create a blueprint for MILDI- The school I hope to open one day!

24. Fulbright in South Africa- YAY! God is sooooo good granting this dream/goal of mine!

25. Act in a play!

26. Go to every state! I've been to 28! 22 to go!

27. Scuba diving- Checked this off in August 2013, thanks to Kosi! <3

28. skydiving- this is probably happening this year!

29. Become an excellent cook... also working on this goal!

30. win the lottery (become a millionaire) aka find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow :0) I guess I have to buy a lottery ticket! ;)


This is my list! I had a great time creating it and it has changed a few times since its original conception!  I would love to hear about your own goals/dreams list! 

As always thanks for reading!

-Esty/Ubuntu

2 comments:


  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
    First name......
    Middle name.....
    2) Gender:.........
    3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
    4) Loan Duration:.........
    5) Country:.........
    6) Home Address:.........
    7) Mobile Number:.........
    8) Email address..........
    9) Monthly Income:.....................
    10) Occupation:...........................
    11)Which site did you here about us.....................
    Thanks and Best Regards.
    Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete